Labels

Monday 19 March 2012

Design Persona


Ben Smith
300264239
My reason for doing design is that I have enjoyed video games all of my life and want to join this industry. I am a firm believer that videogames are a form of art, one that is extremely good at telling engrossing stories and delivering amazing experiences. They have changed so much since the old days of arcade cabinets and Super Mario, now able to render full 3D characters made out of polygons with hundreds of different sides and dozens of different textures, they can create truly lifelike characters that can tell stories once only possible with films. However I am constantly having these experiences ruined for me by animations and character models that look messy or do not move naturally, if something does not move or look like a human then how am I supposed to identify with it as one? So for me some of my biggest inspirations and motivations have been-in my opinion-failures. However there are games which create truly genuine characters, games like the “Uncharted” franchise are a perfect example of this, their characters act and look like REAL people.  Everything down to the subtle eyebrow movements on a person’s face when they are talking, the hand gestures and eye movements are all spot on. Their characters all look so genuine, and move so naturally that it is impossible to not identify with them straight away. To me being able to relate with characters of a game is the most important thing second only to the game itself actually being fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment